Arizona Department of Insurance
100 North 15th Avenue, Suite 261

Phoenix, AZ  85007-2630

Starting July 1, 2020, we became the
Department of Insurance and Financial Institutions (DIFI).

Application Requirements

Not everyone qualifies for an insurance license. The Department can deny a license for any cause listed in Arizona Revised Statutes ("ARS") § 20-295. You should review this statute before deciding to spend the time, effort and money to apply for a license. If you apply for a license, you must truthfully and completely answer questions asked on the application, and you may need to provide additional documentation.

Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:

  • Be 18 years old (ARS § 20-321.01(C)(1));
  • Pass an exam if an individual under any the following circumstances (ARS § 20-321.01(C)(3)):
  • Your primary residence or principal place of business is in Arizona; or,
  • The state where you reside or have your principal place of business (your "home state") does not issue adjuster licenses; or,
  • You relocate from a state that does not issue adjuster licenses.

You do not need to pass an exam if you are licensed in good standing as an adjuster in your home state; or, you are relocating from a state where you are licensed in good standing as an adjuster, we receive your license application within 90 days after you cancel your adjuster license in your former home state and you submit a clearance letter from that state.

  • Pay non-refundable fees (ARS § 20-167(A)) including
  • License fee
  • FBI Fingerprint per-card processing fee (which is different from the fee you may be charged to have fingerprints applied to a fingerprint card)
  • ​Submit a fingerprint card (ARS § 20-142(E)) for an individual applicant and for each principal of a business-entity applicant (see Form L-176 instructions) in accordance with the procedure described on Form L-FPV unless you are licensed in good standing as an adjuster in your home state.
  • Submit Form L-152 (ARS § 41-1080) unless you are licensed in good standing as an adjuster in your home state.
  • Submit your license application (ARS § 20-321.01(B))You can either apply online through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR), or you can submit a paper application (Form L-169 if the applicant an individual; Form L-176 if the applicant is a business entity).  NIPR online applications are generally processed more quickly than applications submitted on paper. 
  • View your license from the License Search option on our Web site after you receive notice that your license was issued.