Low-income Applicants May Qualify for License Fee Waiver
Mon, 01/13/2020 - 17:51
An individual whose family income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty level may qualify to have the license fee waived. Here are the steps:
- Determine if you qualify.
- You must be an individual. This does not apply to business entities.
- Your family income may not exceed 200% of the applicable federal poverty level as published each year in the Federal Register by the US Department of Health and Human Services (see: https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines for current federal poverty levels)
- You cannot have previously applied in Arizona, either as a resident or nonresident, regardless of whether you were ever issued a license in Arizona, for the type of license for which you are requesting a fee waiver
- If you qualify:
- Schedule, pay for, take and pass the pre-license exam (if required for the type of license you would like to obtain).
- Download Form L-WAV (from https://insurance.az.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/form_l-wav.pdf) and complete it on your computer.
- Print and sign the completed Form L-WAV.
- Download Form L-152 (from https://insurance.az.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/l-152_20180618_0.pdf) and complete it on your computer.
- Print and sign the completed Form L-152.
- Make a clear photocopy of the forms of identification you selected to provide on Form L-152.
- Download Form L-FPV (from https://insurance.az.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/l-fpv_20180618.pdf)
- Have your fingerprints applied to an FBI Form FD-258 fingerprint card and have the fingerprinting service complete Form L-FPV and include the completed Form L-FPV with your completed fingerprint card in a sealed envelope (which you must not open after it has been sealed). You will need to pay for this service. You should use Prometric, the vendor that provides insurance exams, to provide this service for you.
- Carefully read the instructions for the NAIC Uniform Application (https://insurance.az.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/NAIC-UniformAppIndivProducerLic_ADOI-f_20180618.pdf), download the form and complete it on your computer. Applications accompanied by a fee waiver request must be submitted on paper. The National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) does not have a way for us to receive an online license application that contains a request to waive the license fee.
- Print and sign the completed NAIC Uniform Application.
- Review the instructions for the NAIC Uniform Application to determine whether you need to furnish any additional documents, and make sure to include all required documents. Failure to do so will delay our processing of your application.
- Mail or deliver all the following to the Department of Insurance:
- The exam score report showing you passed the exam for the license you would like to obtain;
- Completed and signed Form L-WAV;
- Completed and signed Form L-152, with a clear photocopy of the form of identification you selected on Form L-152;
- The sealed, unopened envelope containing Form L-FPV (completed by the fingerprinting service) and your fingerprint card;
- The completed and signed NAIC Uniform Application; and,
- Any other documents required by the NAIC Uniform Application.
- A check or money order made payable to Arizona Department of Insurance in the amount of $22.00 to pay for state and FBI processing of your fingerprint card.
- Important: If you file this form, it becomes part of your license application, and if you file incorrect, misleading, incomplete, or materially untrue information on a license application, an insurance license can be denied, suspended or revoked, you could be assessed civil penalties and you could be the subject of other administrative and legal consequences. The fee waiver only applies to the license fee. It does not apply to other fees and costs you may need to pay in order to become licensed.