PASS THE INSURANCE EXAMINATION (*if required)
You must pass an Arizona insurance examination for the license authority you want to have under any the following circumstances:
- Your primary residence or principal place of business is in Arizona; or,
- You relocate from a state where you did not hold the license that you want to have in Arizona (perhaps because the state did not issue that type of license).
You do not need to pass an exam if:
- You are applying to add Mexican Insurance Surplus Broker authority to your license [exempt from examination by ARS § 20-411.01(A)];
- You are licensed in good standing in your home state for the license you want to have (as a nonresident) in Arizona; or,
- You are relocating from a state where you have a license in good standing, and you want the same license in Arizona, and we receive your license application within 90 days after you cancel your license in your former home state, and you submit a clearance letter from that state.
IMPORTANT! Arizona law limits you to four attempts to pass an exam for a particular line of authority within a one-year period. After a fourth unsuccessful attempt, you will have to wait one year from the date of the last attempt to retake the exam. Arizona law treats failing an examination that covers more than one line of license authority the same as failing the examination for each individual line of license authority. ARS §20-284(H).
Insurance license examinations are administered by Prometric. Prometric's Internet web sites contain license candidate publications that describe Arizona insurance licensing requirements and that outline material covered on each of the examinations. The outlines show the percentage of the examination that will deal with particular topic areas. Neither Prometric nor the Department of Insurance publish study materials. However, the Department has available a document available on this web page that lists some resources that you may want to use to help you to prepare for your exam.
Schedule to take your examination at any Prometric test center throughout the U.S. in which insurance examinations are offered
- using their web page (http://www.prometric.com/Arizona)
- by mail using a registration form
- or by phone (800-853-5448)
After you complete your exam, you will first see your exam score on the computer screen. Before you leave the test center, the test center staff will give you a printed score report showing your overall score and whether you passed or failed. If you apply for your license on paper (rather than online), submit your score report with your license application. Keep a copy for your records. If you failed, you must retake the entire exam. You cannot just retake the sections of the exam on which you scored poorly. Focus your studies on the sections of the exam with the most questions and sections on which you performed poorly.
IMPORTANT! Once you pass an exam, you must apply for the corresponding license within one year. ARS §20-284(A).