Filing a Complaint
The Arizona Department of Insurance helps insurance consumers resolve disputes that are within the Department's jurisdiction, and we investigate apparent violations of Arizona law.
What We Can and Cannot Do
- Provide your complaint to your insurance company or insurance professional and require them to respond to us.
- Review the response for compliance with applicable laws, rules, and policy requirements.
- Require corrective action if we determine that the insurance company or insurance professional did not meet the legal obligations.
- Help you understand your insurance policy.
- Act as your legal representative in or out of court.
- Intervene on your behalf in a pending lawsuit.
- Consult with you if you are represented by an attorney unless we have your attorney's written permission.
- Regarding a dispute between you and your insurance company, establish:
- Who was negligent or at fault.
- The value of a claim or the amount of money owed to you.
- The facts surrounding the claim (that is, who is being truthful when there are differing accounts of what happened).
- The facts regarding any other disagreement between you and another party.
- Help resolve complaints or investigate matters for plans or companies that are not subject to the insurance laws of Arizona or that are governed by other Arizona state agencies.
If a matter is within our jurisdiction, this web site will tell you whether you should file a complaint, grievance or appeal. For matters that are outside our jurisdiction, this web site immediately provides information you can use so you do not spend time submitting a complaint and waitng for a response, only to be told that we do not have authority to help with the matter.
Whom Do We Have the Pleasure of Assisting?
The type of help we can offer depends, in part, upon your relationship to the insurance transaction.
Insurance consumer, policyholder, enrollee/member, or beneficiary/claimant
Select this option if you need help with a problem with an insurance policy you purchased or tried to purchase; a problem with an insurance claim (whether under your insurance policy or someone else's insurance policy); or, your insurance policy was canceled or nonrenewed.
Witness to insurance fraud
Select this option to use the Online Fraud Reporting System to provide evidence that someone has stolen money from an insurance company by filing a false or exaggerated insurance claim, faking an accident/injury/treatment, lying on an application for insurance, etc.