Filing a Complaint
We're Here to Help
If you believe that an insurance company or insurance professional violated Arizona law:
STEP 1. Scan and save to your computer documents and records that we will need to help investigate the complaint, for example:
- Your insurance card (front and back)
- Your insurance policy (all pages)
- Correspondence (letters, memos, etc.) you exchanged with others involved in this case
- Other information that will help us resolve the matter.
STEP 2. File a Consumer Complaint with us. After you complete the online Consumer Complaint form, the system will allow you one opportunity* to attach the documents that you saved in STEP 1.
- *IMPORTANT: The online Consumer Complaint system only allows one opportunity to attach documents, so it is important that you complete STEP 1 first so that all your documents can be uploaded with the complaint. The online complaint system will transfer your documents to us in a secure, encrypted manner.
- If you need to provide additional documents at a later time, contact us at [email protected], and the specialist assigned to your complaint will provide a way for you to transmit additional documents to us in a secure manner. In your e-mail, please include a copy of the confirmation you received when you submitted your complaint using the online Complaint Form.
- Please do not send files on portable storage devices, like "thumb drives," because for security reasons, we are not able to attach those to our computers.
- Once you send a complaint using the online Consumer Complaint form, please do not send the same complaint by other means, including submitting an additional online complaint, fax, mail, etc.. Online complaints are automatically entered into our complaint management system.
Please note that facts relating to complaints that we receive become public records pursuant to Arizona law.
If you are not sure whether the Arizona Department of Insurance is the right place for your question or problem, contact our Consumer Protection Division:
- Phone: (602) 364-2499 or (800) 325-2548 (in Arizona but outside Phoenix)
Phone Hours: 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Mondays through Fridays (except state holidays)
- Email: [email protected]
To learn more about the Department of Insurance, read A Consumer Guide to the Arizona Department of Insurance.
We are aware of a phishing scam targeting insurance professionals claiming that the National Association of Insurance Commissioners received a complaint that the professional submitted a falsified claim. This fraudulent email displays the NAIC and CIPR logos, can originate from what appears to be an naic.org or gmail.com email account, and instructs the recipient to click on a link to download the complaint notification.
Certain antivirus products will detect this as a malicious email. If you receive a similar email and have any concerns, contact the NAIC Service Desk at (816) 783-8500 or [email protected].